James W. Lewis
- Areas of Practice
James W. Lewis is a Partner at Slater Slater Schulman with over 20 years of legal experience. Highly regarded as a fierce advocate for survivors of trauma, James represents survivors in matters involving sexual assault, sexual abuse, civil rights, and traumatic personal injury.
Understanding the life-long effects of trauma, James treats every client with the respect and dignity they deserve. His tireless efforts have led to multiple multi-million-dollar outcomes on behalf of his clients. One case, believed to be the largest sexual assault settlement paid by LA County at the time, involved a $6.15 million settlement against the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department on behalf of a woman who was sexually assaulted by a deputy on duty.
As a seasoned attorney, James has been recognized time and again by notable organizations in the industry. James was recently listed in both the Best Lawyers in America publication and as a Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer in 2020. He has been named a Southern California Super Lawyer every year since 2017 and was recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star from 2008 to 2011 and 2013 to 2014.
In addition to advocating for victims of abuse, James has successfully litigated various personal injury matters involving motor vehicle accidents, amputations, brain injuries, burn injuries, wrongful death, premises liability, and product liability.
Outside of the firm, James is a member of both the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles and the Consumer Attorneys of California. He has also served for many years as the vice-chair and pro-bono legal counsel of the Antelope Valley Hospital Foundation—which raises funds for Antelope Valley Hospital in Los Angeles County.
James obtained his B.A. from San Diego State University and his J.D. from Pepperdine University School of Law. He officially joined the Slater Slater Schulman team in February 2021. James was admitted to the State Bar of California in 2000 and is permitted to practice in all California State Courts and the United States District Court, Central District of California.
- Member of Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Member of Consumer Attorneys of California
- Former Vice-chair of the Antelope Valley Hospital Foundation
- Former Pro-bono legal counsel of the Antelope Valley Hospital Foundation
- California State Bar Association
- United States District Court, Central District of California.
- Areas of Practice
- Sexual Abuse
- Civil Rights
- Personal Injury
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer– Best Lawyers 2020
- Super Lawyer- Southern California since 2017
- Super Lawyers Rising Star- Southern California 2008 to 2011, 2013 to 2014
- Juris Doctor Degree- Pepperdine University School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts- San Diego State University